NEW YORK, SAME OLD ME



In 2013 I went to New York to do some gigs. I was a big hit, I felt like Shakespear. Every word I uttered on stage was greeted by waves of laughter crashing against the redstone brick walls behind me. I even had my first paid gig. The cleaner of the venue marched me over to the promoter and told him to pay me after I’d done well in front of Justin Long. I still have the $20 on my notice board. I thought it might bring me luck.

Meanwhile back in England my girlfriend was miserable and was shouting at me on facebook and via text. Why wasn’t I calling and texting her? I made my excuses. I was having a good time. She was not, she was ill, depressed and anxious. It felt like there was not much I could do thousands of miles away. I said I was looking forward to seeing her, but in truth I wanted to stay in New York and never return.

Now that I think about it I guess I wanted to leave her then not two years later. I sat next to my opportunity to leave her on the flight home. About an hour into the flight this lady leaned over and said she was scared of flying. We then spoke for the whole flight. We had an instant connection. It turned out she was on her way to London because her parents had been hit by a bus crossing the road on Regents street. They were both in a coma. She was a charity worker who helped children in South America. When we flew into London we were about to land she asked could I hold her hand. I had a girlfriend, a girlfriend who later became an abusive alcoholic.


I got on the tube and then she got on the same carriage. The universe was trying to tell me something. I asked for her details, we exchanged emails. I said I’d message her, I never did. I’ve not been back to New York and I barely gig anymore. Sometimes I think I chose the wrong reality that day.

---



YOU CAN MAKE A ONE OFF DONATION HERE (SUGGESTED £5)



OR BECOME A PATRON BY CLICKING BELOW AND GET A HOST OF BONUS CONTENT ACCESS 

Become a Patron! 

CLICK TO FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AND INSTA 


THE DONATIONS REALLY HELP AND I PUT A LOT OF TIME INTO THIS